The immediate and long term
effect of abuse.
Why do we need to spot the signs?
So we . . .
• Help and protect the service users
• Follow the correct legislations – Equality and
Diversity Act, Human Rights Act and The Care
• Follow the Care Value Base
• Follow professional bodies codes of practice
• Follow codes of conduct, policies and
procedures in a health and social care setting
• Assess the likely immediate effects of two
different forms of abuse on the health and
wellbeing of adults.
• You need to consider what effects instantly
follow two different types of abuse for
example; physical abuse may affect the adult
by bruising and fracturing them. Also explain
how the abuse can affect the health and
wellbeing of adult.
• Consider – Physical - fracture
• Could the injury effect them doing everyday things?
(e.g. fracture leg would cause isolation)
• Could it lead to further health issues? (Bed sores)
• Does it effect how they feel and act towards others?
(Depression and low self esteem)
• Would we see changes in these person as a health
worker and what? (Body language, depression and
• Evaluate the potential long-term effects of
these two types of abuse on the health and
well-being of adults.
• You need to consider what effects will concern
the adult in the long-term, for example; sexual
abuse can lead to the adult feeling
shame or fear of reporting the incident
and having long-term anxiety,
depression and fear of certain people.
• What are the long-term effects of abuse? (Included
lasting injuries also lasting feelings and emotions about
• Would the person being abused report it? if not why not? (shame, scared, social isolation).
• Should we report it if we see it and why? (CVB, Whistle
blowing and professional code of practice).
• What will be the positives effects of reporting this? (The person being abused and other service users).
• Why is it important that it gets reported and what will
happen if it does not get reported?
Examples of abuse
Elderly care in Sandwell
Meera Syal case study
Amy Winehouse – Self harm through Drugs
• Rihanna and Chris Brown – Domestic abuse
• Hollyoakes – Patrick and Maxine
• Eastenders - Little Mo
Please join StudyMode to read the full document