Describe and Give Reasons for Changes in the Structure of the Uk Population Since 1960?

Topics: Demography, Population, Total fertility rate Pages: 2 (893 words) Published: December 3, 2012
Describe and give reasons for changes in the structure of the UK population since 1960? Changes in the structure of the UKs population since 1970 has been due to many factors, the main influences being immigration, emigration, birth and death rates and total fertility rates. In 2005, the population of the UK reached its highest total ever; 60 million people. In the future, this is predicted to rise, reaching 64 million by 2023 and 67 million by 2031. The total population is constantly changing and this is described as a dynamic system. Inputs (births and immigration) and out puts (deaths and emigration) vary over time to create either growth or decline in the population. The relative importance of migration to the UKs changing population varied significantly during the twentieth century. During the 1970s, more people emigrated from the UK than immigrated, however this all coincided with a baby boom, so natural increase due to higher birth rates compensated for the loss. This natural increase was responsible for around 98% of the UK’s population growth at the time, while net migration made up for the other 2%. Between 2001 and 2005, immigration outstripped emigration. During this period of time, net migration was responsible for an extra 182,000 people living in the UK each year; whereas natural increase only added an extra 92,000 people each year. The main reasons for such a large amount of immigration are available job opportunities for people coming into the UK. Migration patterns in and out of the UK reflect the country’s cultural ties with members of the Commonwealth, as well as with other European nations. Between 2005 and 2021, it is expected that natural changes and net migration will account for similar amounts of the overall population size. More people in the UK are living into old age, a situation that has been given the term a greying of the population. At the same time, the number of births in the UK is in decline. These two trends have been...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Examine the reasons for the changes in the demography in the UK Essay
  • Essay about Life Changes Since the 1960s
  • Age & Gender Structure of Population in Hong Kong Essay
  • Population Change Essay
  • Reasons for the change in divorce since 1969 Essay
  • Assess the causes and consequences of changes in the UK population. Essay
  • Examine The Reasons For Changes In Birth Rates And Family Size Since 1990 Essay
  • examine reasons for change in divorce rate since 1970 Essay

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free